Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tax Assessments

I just received my Grundy County revised tax assessment letter in the mail and am betting that you have as well. If you haven't, you probably will soon. Generally this brings up one question from local townspeople, "What the heck? My assessments are up! My taxes are going to go up! How do I stop this???"

Well, if you must- you can file complaints with the board of review until 30 days after the date of publication of the assessment list (mine is 11/5/08)...so I have until early December.
BUT, it's a pretty easy formula to figure out if you're paying too little, too much or if it's just right (just ask Goldilocks). Multiply the assessed value times 3 and that is what they have your property's market value at. If it's above where you think it's feasible to sell your property at- you might have a legitimate beef. If it's below, you should count your blessings that you're being taxed less than you probably should be.

No comments: